AT&T Wireless is one of the largest mobile phone providers in the United States. Customers can choose to sign a one or two-year contract to reduce device cost or pay for the full price of a device and skip the contract. AT&T Wireless also offers prepaid cellular phone options under the brand GoPhone.
Applying for AT&T Wireless
- Application Process: To purchase a new AT&T wireless plan[+] you need to choose the phone you would like to purchase. Some phones require a 2-year contract or participation in the AT&T Next program. Other phones can be purchased as part of a one-year contract or month-to-month plan. After choosing the phone you desire, choose the data coverage (if applicable) and proceed through the purchase screens to choose device protection and accessories. At the checkout page you will be asked for your name, address and social security number. Your social security number will be used to run a credit check to determine if a security deposit is required.
- Contract Terms: AT&T wireless offers month-to-month, one-year, two-year and AT&T Next contracts. If you do not want a contract, AT&T offers GoPhones with no contract and service purchased on a monthly basis.
Accessing Your AT&T Wireless Account
- Login: You can login to your AT&T Wireless account from the front page[+].
- Payment Details: You can pay your AT&T wireless bill by phone, mail or online account.
- Phone: 1-800-331-0050
- Phone from Wireless: 611
- Mail: Enter your zip code[+] to find your mailing address.
AT&T Wireless Security Deposits and Fees
- Security Deposit: No specifics about AT&T wireless security deposits are listed on the official website. Reports claim security deposits can be as high as $1,000 per line.
- Activation Fee: The activation fee and upgrade fee is $36. This fee will be added to your AT&T account.
- Early Cancellation Fee: As of October 2013, AT&T charges an early termination fee of $350 minus $10 per each month of service for smartphones and $150 minus $4 for each month of service for non-smartphones. Netbooks and computers fall into the smartphone category and mobile hotspots fall into the non-smartphone category.
- Monthly Fee: There are no monthly fees to maintain AT&T wireless service.
- Roaming Charges: Roaming charges are not charged when customers have AT&T Nationwide plans and make domestic calls. International service, however, does come with roaming charges for talk (from $0.38 to $1.20 per minute) and data (from $0.015 to $0.0195 per KB).
AT&T Wireless PayAsYouGo
AT&T wireless GoPhones are available with prepaid packages or as a PayAsYouGo phone.
- Per Minute Fee: 10 cents per minute
- Data Fee: 1 cent per 5 KB
- Text Fee: 20 cents per text message
How to Cancel Your AT&T Wireless Account
Customers can cancel AT&T wireless service or remove a line from an account by calling 1-800-331-0500 or by dialing 6-1-1 from their cellular phone. If you are cancelling service within the first 14 days of opening your AT&T account, there will not be an Early Termination Fee. However, if you are under contract and you are cancelling service prior to the end date of that contract, you will be charged a fee.